Sunday, September 2, 2012

Aussie Curves - Celebrity Copycat



The JOY of pretending to be someone else.


This week for the Aussie Curves Challenge
we had to get some inspiration from a celeb for our look.
My daily inspiration for feeling Fatbulous is none other than Beth Ditto, and I was considering slapping on some serious eye make up and getting some shots of me rocking out in black fish-nets and my underwear.
But as much as I love Beth (and I haven't ruled out a blog post inspired by her yet) I thought it might be more interesting to try someone
a little or even a lot not like me. 










After taking several online quizzes
suggesting that Jessica Simpson and Sienna Miller were my type of girls in the fashion department
I found this wonderful redhead.
I love her for her red hair, and the more I researched her for this blog, the more I loved her.






*Those quizzes are clearly scientifically formulated for accurate results 


You only have to come across images like this of her 100th birthday celebration to understand what a woman and fashion icon she was.




I love this facial expression





Lucille Ball was a comedian by trade and by nature, but she did so many other amazing things.
Lucille Ball was the first woman to ever run a major television studio, I love Lucy was one of the first programs ever filmed in front of a live TV audience and she ran her own comedy school.














I started with what I had in my wardrobe and thought I would piece together a look with a focus on makeup and hairstyle.
The one thing I struggled with is fake eyelashes. I have not yet managed to successfully stick a pair of those babies on.
My hair became a bit of a modern interpretation, although I did style it with my grandmothers 1950s rollers.











Hair and Makeup

I set my hair in rollers. My bangs I curled forward, I did a top layer going backwards and then the sides and back going down. I set my hair a bit damp, blasted it with a hot hair dryer; and in 1950s fashion wrapped a silk scarf around my hair while I made lunch.
After lunch I took the rollers out, ruffled up the curls and then pulled up the sides with side combs.
I am a simpleton when it comes to makeup but I did do some research about Lucille's makeup. I did a fairly basic foundation base, making sure I coated my eyelids and lips. I paid attention to my eyebrows by giving them a bit of a natural dark brown line with a small brush.
My eyeliner was with a charcoal pencil on my top lash line, I curved it to try and make my eyes look rounder and put in a little kick at the edge of my eye. I added a little colour on my contour and then used a black mascara on upper and lower lashes.
My lips are red and naturally bow shaped. In order to get Lucy's lips I rounded out my lip shape with a pencil and coloured my lips in with it before applying a lip stick.



My Ensemble


I bought my dress from the Lovely Miss Mel online. Miss Mel is based in Brisbane and stocks a great range of 14+ retro dresses. You can order this one here




 

My shoes are from Raben in Sydney. They had so many different versions. I could have bought a pair of every colour. I have had them for a few years now and they are comfortable for shoes so high.
They also rock the hell out of my calves.





My little skin toned bolero was acquired through a clothing swap run by Chub Republic Melbourne. A group of awesome Fatties who challenge fat stereotypes and fat phobia through a range of fun activities. If you are in Melbourne - Get the hell involved!!!





This dress isn't complete without a net petticoat. I also bought this from Miss Mel.




I had so much fun putting this blog together. 


Thank you to my  beautiful boy who played fashion photographer...















13 comments:

  1. You look fabulous! LOVING THIS. I LOVE LUCY. And those shoes are all kinds of wonderful. SO great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a real doll!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haaaaaaa the fun you're having shines right through on every pic. OMG you went to so much trouble, well done, you definitely got the Lucy look ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look amazing! What a fun post!! Love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look so gorgeous in that dress! Love this look on you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much awesome happening in these photos!!! I looove your dress, your attitude, oh your hair is fab too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eeeekkk!!! I love this!!! You bloody nailed it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YOU LOOK LIKE HER!!! Man this is soooo good! You hair was just soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for all the lovely comments. Blogging is doing my ego wonders!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is great. One of my faves this week.
    Luv Jac @Common Chaos Chronicle xox

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yours is totally my favourite this week! What an inspired choice: I fucking LOVE Lucille Ball! Shes so beautiful yet so full of sass and personality at the same time. Not to mention an amazing style icon. You look like you had mad fun taking these snaps with your son: I highly endorse the use of child slave labour also: my little cousin often acts as my photographer! You got the whole look so spot on: your hair looks amazing - I could never do that - and the dress looks stunning. VERY SEXYPANTS XXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay thanks MissEvie. I loved your on location shoot at the Carrington. Very Chic. for future reference my boy is my other half, I just patronise the crap out of him because I am cougar... rarr!!

      Delete